As much as we often treat our dogs like they are human members of our family, it’s worth remembering that there’s some crucial differences – especially when it comes to the household items that are toxic to your canine friend. 

Most people, whether they’re pet parents or not, are aware that dogs cannot eat some human food (like chocolate) but the danger doesn’t end with foodstuff. It’s worth remembering that dogs interact with most items using their mouths, which puts them at a high risk of experiencing a bad reaction to toxic household items. 

If you are a pet parent, planning to become one, or have frequent household visits from a family or friend’s pet, then making yourself aware of the dangers listed below is incredibly important. 

Human Foods

Dogs are known to pounce on unattended meals, if you are eating or preparing a meal containing any of the below it is incredibly important to exercise extra precaution. 

Many human foods are perfectly safe for dogs, with a lot of fruits, veg and meat being acceptable and healthy for your pet. The raw food diet sees many dog owners defrosting raw meats and serving fresh fruits and vegetables to their pet- however this can pose it’s own risks. Edmondson’s Dog Food contains a mixture of meat and vegetables for a perfectly balanced, hypoallergenic diet. 

Flowers & Plants

The petals and leaves of many popular household plants and flowers are extremely toxic to dogs – in fact, the list of plants and flowers your dog should avoid is extremely long. Some are only harmful if a big quantity is ingested, but others are fatal. If your dog eats a poisonous plant or flower the symptoms can include: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, skin allergies, and seizures. 

Be cautious of which flowers you send as gifts to friends and loved ones if they have pets, many flowers and plants are also poisonous to cats. Having a dog does not mean you necessarily have to give up plants and flowers for good, instead try these tips: 


Having a pet in the home requires similar vigilance to having a toddler around, assume anything within reach will end up in their mouth. Both human and veterinary pharmaceuticals can be hazardous to your pet, especially when ingested in large quantities. Ensure these are kept out of sight, preferably in a closed cabinet.


Sounds like a no-brainer, but even the smallest amount can cause issues. Dogs can lick up spillages on floors, or lick their paws after having walked through a dangerous substance which can have devastating consequences. In particular, watch out for the household chemicals below: 

Miscellaneous Items

We’ll say it again, treat your dog like you would a toddler. Tidy up and store anything out of reach that they’re likely to put in their mouths (everything). Watch out for: 


If in doubt, assume it’s toxic. Anything that isn’t designed for your dog is likely not good for them. Most of us refer to our dogs as our babies, and they should be treated as such – put dangerous items out of reach and use child locks and toddler gates for their safety. 

Concerned your pet has ingested something that they shouldn’t? Contact your veterinarian immediately.